[Users] Use vSWAP without Swap?

Kirill Kolyshkin kolyshkin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 23:00:42 PDT 2016

On Apr 25, 2016 14:45, "Henry Spanka" <henry at myvirtualserver.de> wrote:

> Hi OpenVZ community,
>
> We’re currently having our swap partition on SSDs as it affected the
overall performance of our system(high HDD Swap usage before).
Unfortunately the SSDs are dying very fast and I’m currently considering
just removing the swap completely but we still want to offer Swap to our
customers. I’ve read about vSwap(https://openvz.org/VSwap). How is the
behavior when the container has swap assigned but the node has no swap at
all. Does it just get virtually swapped in the RAM(if enough available) or
is there a limitation? Upgrading the RAM rather than buying two expensive
SSDs(RAID 1) is cheaper for us so that would be a very nice solution.
Anyone experience with this setup?

Real swapping occur only if there is not enough RAM on the system. So, if
you see lots of swapping going on, you can either add more RAM or move some
containers to another system. You can use vzoversell to quickly check the
level of overcommitment as well as current RAM usage. In general, it makes
sense to not oversell much as excessive swap negatively affects system
performance, but it's good to have some swap space configured to handle
occasional RAM shortage (as otherwise OOM killer would be used which is
worse than swapping).

Kir.