[Users] MySQL server is unreachable from OpenVZ container

Sergey Bolbat madd.korben at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 04:02:43 PDT 2016

Writing out of despair. Yesterday, as usual and having done this for
thousands of times before, I'd installed MySQL server in the Head Node for
using it from the OpenVZ container. I've created user, gave privileges for
the base and configured my.cnf to listen for server's IP. Then I've tried
to connect server from the container using mysql client - mysql -h
server-ip -u user -p and after long delay I've got error 'ERROR 2003
(HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'server ip' (110)

I try to telnet to 3306 - timeout. I try to change listening port to 3307
or any other - timeout. I've added a rule for 3306 and container's IP
(despite the entire subnet of containers was already allowed before) in
iptables - timeout. Stopped iptables - also timeout!

Then I thought - maybe server is totally unreachable from the container
(despite the Internet connection is working properly inside container
through venet), but ssh connection succeded. Then I thought - maybe MySQL
server is inaccesible from any of container, but connection from another
container succeded. I thought that maybe something blocks mysql connections
from the container but tcpdump in the HN successfully cought incoming
packets on specified port.

What could be wrong else!? I don't have any versions or methods of
investigating. Maybe you can advice something? Thanks in advance.

Thank you.