[Users] live migration inside one physical node

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Sep 8 17:42:31 PDT 2015

On 09/08/2015 06:12 AM, Nick Knutov wrote:
>   This way takes time. It's definitely not _live_ migration (

You mean, ploop copy is not used? Yes I think you can use ploop copy
for moving the top ploop delta to another location. Here's how:

0. figure out $VE_ROOT and $VE_PRIVATE (use vzlist -H -o root,private
$CTID).

1. figure out ploop device (/dev/ploopXXX) and top delta (relative to
VE_PRIVATE)
for the given CT -- reuse get_ploop_info() function from vzmigrate script.

2. copy everything but top delta to new location (in vzmigrate we do
rsync --exclude $VE_PRIVATE/$TOP_DELTA, guess you can do something
similar with cp).

3. run ploop copy; for the local case it will be as easy as

   ploop copy -s $PLOOP_DEV -d $NEW_VE_PRIVATE/$TOP_DELTA -F "vzctl
suspend $CTID --suspend"

4. move the CT mount to the new place:

  mount --move $VE_PRIVATE $NEW_VE_PRIVATE

5. change VE_PRIVATE:

  vzctl set $CTID --private $NEW_VE_PRIVATE --save

6. restore container

  vzctl suspend $CTID --resume

With these details, you'll be able to write the proper script in no time,
and I'll be happy to review it for you.

Kir.