[Users] ploop on ext4 without journal - bug?

Dmitry Monakhov dmonakhov at openvz.org
Wed Oct 7 05:03:35 PDT 2015

Sergey Bronnikov <sergeyb at openvz.org> writes:

> Dima, could you help?
>
> On 02:08 Wed 30 Sep , Nick Knutov wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have an ext4 partition without journal (I need it so):
First of all. The subject you mentioned is incorrect. This is not
nojournal mode. Configuration you want to create is external journal with data=journal.

data=journal is full data journaling mode. Such mode assumes that it
will pass through journal all data, but ploop directly issues bios to
lower-fs(i.e. baypass journal). This done for performance reasons. That
is why ploop is faster that any other solutions.
All this means that full journaling for lower(/vz/private) fs is not
compatible with ploop. So please do not use it, otherwise you'll get
undefined behavior (most likely silent corruptions in guest-fs)

The glitch you have mentioned most likely happen due to the fact that
you use SSD. Recently we have found a bug in mm reclaim code which
result in deadlock (swap on ssd in our case) https://jira.sw.ru/browse/PSBM-39335

Bug was fixed here:
*diff-ms-mm-vmscan-do-not-wait-for-page-writeback-for-GFP_NOFS-allocations
Added to 042stab112_3

mm, vmscan: Do not wait for page writeback for GFP_NOFS
Backport of mainline patch ecf5fc6e9654