[Users] X apps in OpenVZ containers

Solar Designer solar at openwall.com
Fri May 15 10:47:02 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 09:44:38AM -0600, Scott Dowdle wrote:
> If you weren't on EL5 I'd have the perfect solution... or darn close in my opinion.  So, EL5 is at 5.11 and doesn't have that much life left in it.  How long before OWL goes to EL6 or is that not going to ever happen?

If we don't EOL Owl sooner, which we're currently not planning to, then
it should migrate to newer kernels, possibly jumping over EL6 right to EL7.

We actually had an update to EL6 kernels committed into Owl-current in
2012, but we reverted before making this public due to multiple security
bugs entering the pipeline for EL6 at the time (and not affecting EL5).
Since then, we dodged multiple other security bugs by staying EL5.  I'm
not happy about any of this.

> My solution?  x2go... which is available in EL6 and EL7 EPEL... but not EL5.  EL5 is just too old I think... but then again, with some effort, you might be able to shoehorn x2go onto EL5.

I doubt x2go over TCP is as efficient as X protocol over Unix domain
socket, or is it?

Alexander