[Users] Question about ploop snapshot + memory dump + inodes

Devnull newsletter+openvz at trendymail.fr
Sun May 10 14:23:51 PDT 2015

Hello!

Please forgive my bad English (greetings from France!).

I am working on an incremental backup tool called "openvz-diff-backups"
since two years (on my spare time so it does not progress fast).

Currently, I am switching to ploop format (test servers and more later).

The goal is to be able to restore backups to simfs or to ploop layout.

---

It works but I would like to hear from experts about this problem:

the backup tool is "file-based" and so, when restoring a backup, inodes
might/may/will change on target host.

One of the main goals about ploop was to preserve inodes but, with this
backup tool, I cannot ensure this.

With "cold backups" it does not really matter because we need to start
the container (however, some programs like "rkhunter" will complain).

But, when restoring "live backups" (ploop snapshot + memory dump), I
think this is more complicated.

---

So the question: is it really unsafe?

I mean, is there many programs/tools expecting inodes NOT to change
while they are running?

Best regards.