[Users] Debian 8 packages for OpenVZ as a HN?

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sun May 10 06:14:54 PDT 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Unfortunately, we can't run OpenVZ 2/6/32 kernel on top of systemd
> aware system because it lacks kdbus subsystem. But if you changed init
> system to sysvinit for Debian 8 Jessie we could run old kernel on it.

So far as I know, kdbus hasn't been added to the mainline kernel yet... and certainly wasn't available for the 3.10.x series that RHEL7 uses... so no, it is *NOT* a requirement for systemd because if it were, there wouldn't be any systemd-based systems yet.  For more info, see:

https://lwn.net/Articles/641275/

kdbus is certainly something the systemd developers want in the kernel and once it is there, systemd will be start using it.

Now having said that, I'm NOT trying to claim that the EL6-based 2.6.32.x kernel will work on the host node of newer distros like EL7 and Debian 8... because to the best of my knowledge, it will not... but I don't think it is systemd related.  There is a new mainline kernel release approximately very 3 months and big changes are fairly common.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street