[Users] disable getty start for Debian 8 with systemd

CoolCold coolthecold at gmail.com
Mon May 4 05:32:06 PDT 2015

Hello!

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Scott Dowdle <dowdle at montanalinux.org>
wrote:

> Greetings,

For now i'm doing masking on template creation (
https://github.com/CoolCold/openvz-tools/blob/master/templating/prep-jessie.sh#L94
) , so using #1

> > So, knowledge is shared, now the question part.
> >
> > 1) to OpenVZ devs - are there any chances ttys (except console) may
> > be needed?
>
> I don't think so... but even if one is started, it shouldn't really use up
> much resources.  I believe they are actually started on demand if and when
> one switches over to a virtual console.

About resources:
root at ddiburatest:~# ps -eo  'rsz,command'|grep getty
  856 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty2 linux
  892 /sbin/agetty --noclear --keep-baud console 115200 38400 9600 vt102
  844 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty3 linux
  844 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty4 linux
  856 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty5 linux
  848 /sbin/agetty --noclear tty6 linux

so once instance is eating something like 900kb of RAM (resident size),
though I don't see any difference from free -m output after stopping them.
about on demand: From what I see, it is not started on demand as A) there
is no any switch to other virtual consoles by hand B) i've checked on
VMware VM - and I clearly see it has been dynamically activated when i use
alt+ctrl+f1/f2..
And anyway, it isn't needed, so why consume resources?

> > 2) to Ola Lundqvist , what do you think, is it worth to fill the bug
> > to Debian's systemd package?
>
> It doesn't seem like a bug to me.

I'm thinking about this as enhancement, not a but here, just filling via
standard Debian bugs report interface.

> TYL,
> --
> Scott Dowdle