[Users] disable getty start for Debian 8 with systemd

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sun May 3 22:54:32 PDT 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Just installed Debian 8 "Jessie" in VE. Used almost the same template
> creation script as for Squeeze and started cleaning some things up.
>
> One particular thing I've noted is agetty processes being started for
> tty{1..6} via systemd. Some lurking and asking on #systemd at freenode
> revealed several possibly solutions:
> 1) completely disable (note that you should use "mask" command) the
> service, like:
> systemctl mask getty-static.service
> 2) use conditional in Unit definition
> /lib/systemd/system/getty-static.service
> ConditionVirtualization=!openvz
>
> (i'd suggest to use ConditionVirtualization=!lxc for LXC too)

On #2 I don't think you want to edit the package provided service file as that could get replaced with an update.  I think you can copy it to /etc/systemd/service/ and make changes there... or at least I believe that's how it is supposed to work.  I would think #1 would be a better solution.

> So, knowledge is shared, now the question part.
>
> 1) to OpenVZ devs - are there any chances ttys (except console) may
> be needed?

I don't think so... but even if one is started, it shouldn't really use up much resources.  I believe they are actually started on demand if and when one switches over to a virtual console.

> 2) to Ola Lundqvist , what do you think, is it worth to fill the bug
> to Debian's systemd package?

It doesn't seem like a bug to me.

TYL,
--