[Users] Why open source OpenVZ project require commercial CloudLinux as platform?

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Jun 30 02:28:08 PDT 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
\> I have just found this article:
> https://openvz.org/OpenVZ_with_upstream_kernel
>
> And I enough upset with it because I need to install Commercial Paid
> Software (CloudLinux) for running open source OpenVZ.
>
> From my point of view, it's not OK to ask for license for external
> license.
>
> I could buy something from Odin/Parallels but I do not want to buy
> additional tools from another company which is completely not related
> with OpenVZ project.
>
> That's all.

Sorry.  While I haven't read all of the posts in this thread yet... I really don't have any idea what you are asking about nor wanting to do.

The wiki article you link to is regarding using OpenVZ related tools with the upstream kernel... not the standard way to use OpenVZ with the legacy tools that have been in use for almost a decade now.

I do not recommend trying to use openvz tools with the upstream kernel (as the wiki article is all about) because that certainly is NOT a stable platform yet... and is mostly an experiment... and I'm not sure that it will ever become a viable option even after waiting a long time for it to mature.  That is to say, I'm not sure how much effort the Odin folks (Odin is the new name of the part of the Parallels company that works on Virtuozzo related things so it isn't a third-party) plan on putting into making the OpenVZ/Virtuozzo/Whatever stuff working with the upstream Linux kernel.

>From everything I've read... their main focus is on getting the EL7-based OpenVZ kernel in a functional state... and migrating away from vzctl to the recently open sourced Virtuozzo-derived tools.  There are a number of reasons for this.  For a good overview see the presentation Kir gave at LinuxFest Northwest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylNX4gEIJEc

Hmm, looks like there is an updated version of this talk from Containerdays Boston 2015 but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet (I'm on vacation and traveling at the moment) to see if it contains all of the same material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Mz0XElYXk

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle