[Users] Why open source OpenVZ project require commercial CloudLinux as platform?

Pavel Odintsov pavel.odintsov at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 02:01:59 PDT 2015

Very hard to run something now... So much "if" / "should" and "it's
not working yet".

I prefer wait until time "when everything will be work".

Actually there are no profit from open sourcing project at this time.
Because so much "heritage" from Commercial world which I do not like
at all.

I do not want to be part of "test monkeys for commercial project".

I want to be part of community and I want to contribute to
community.But it's real nightmare because I'm from another world. And
"closed CloudLinux" means for me "keep away from this project, it's
not true open source".

Finally, I really appreciate moving to open source. But I do not like
steps of Odin company and community manager here.

1) They offer test kernels with no sources. I.e. there are no way to
build RHEL7 kernel manually from open code
2) They offer closed source distribution with bunch of crap instead
3) They put bunch of code to src.openvz.org but this code lacks os
docs, manuals and any help! We tried to build few tools for few weeks
and it's really HARD challenge.
4) They offer "Debian 8 templates" but do not provide any references
"How you can build template manually".

Odin, folks. If you put code to somewhere in Internet do not mean
"doing open source".

Open source is:

1) Share ideas
2) Offer help and documentation
3) Mind about community, not about commercial success.

I really can spent my time and my engineers time for doing Virtuozzo
better but you do not hear me. Unfortunately. Very sad.