[Users] OpenVZ templates

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Jun 23 14:22:03 PDT 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Its ok or I should pay more money for really open source project?

I don't speak for Odin... because I'm just a member of the user community... but just wanted to clarify that "open source" nor "free software" is about price.

You can chill now... I think he just misunderstood what you said at first (I did).

...but yeah, give them more money if you can spare it! :)

While I'm definitely glad to see more and more of the proprietary bits that were/are part of Virtuozzo... some of which were used to build the official OS Templates... I have no idea how to use any of it yet.

I have a few recipes that I use for building Fedora, CentOS, Scientific Linux, and Oracle templates.  It is basically a yum statement with a specified install directory... and then a few minor changes to the directory tree post install.  While I'm not as knowledgeable with Debian and Ubuntu... I did cobble together a Debian 8 OS Template recipe although I'm sure it leaves a bit to be desired.  Luckily building OS Templates is fairly easy... but yeah, it would be nice if it was better documented on the wiki.

Let's hope the recently released OS Template building tools will be in a usable state in the not-too-distant future... and that the build process isn't overly complicated.

5 or so years ago... vzpkg2 looked like a reasonable third-party alternative but unfortunately the developer got busy with other stuff and it just died on the vine.

It would also be really nice if the new tools could produce OS Templates that were usable (even with some minor changes required) with LXC, libvirt-LXC, systemd-nspawn... and/or lxd. :)  I say that because I really haven't seen any good tools for those... but then again I haven't looked too hard.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street