[Users] Big comparison Ploop and ext4 vs simfs vs ZFS

Pavel Odintsov pavel.odintsov at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 12:22:18 PDT 2015

Hello!

Completely agree with you.

With old style filesystems we use so much non uniform crap like mdraid, dm
raid and hardware solutions like lsi and adaptec.

There are so much different tools, so much details and really complex
configurations.

With ZFS we have only singletool (ring!) for ewerything!

We expect so much data corruptions, downtimes for fsck and even full data
losses with ext3 and ext4. And hardware RAID is too buggy (adaptec is real
bunch of bugs)

But there are no any issues regarding customer data with zfs.

On Friday, July 24, 2015, Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:

> > The point is that in your use case ZFS works very well and saves you 1TB
> of
> > disk space.  Great for you.  For my use case the overhead of learning and
> > deploying ZFS greatly outweighs the handful of GBs I might potentially
> save in
> > disk space.
>
> Don't get me wrong, but zfs is totally simply to use and deploy - much
> simpler
> than anything else (considering all the great feature it provides).

Sincerely yours, Pavel Odintsov