[Users] SIMFS users

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jul 21 17:03:29 PDT 2015

Hi Scott,

> vzctl has a convert option.

Oh? Nice. That must have slipped right by me. Thanks for pointing that out.

> It seems like your argument is basically, "because it was already
> there and people don't have to learn anything to use them".
> While that is true, it doesn't sound too compelling to me.

Like I said earlier on: It's probably more of a psychological or
philosophical issue than a technical one. Which it is.

In commercial environments stability and consistency are more important
than bleeding edge. Which might mean skipping an OS release entirely
unless the old system needs to be grandfathered out for compelling
reasons. We do have a fair bunch of users who installed their systems in
2008 and are still using the same old CentOS5 VPS's nowadays. Although
we gave them plenty of reasons to move onwards to CentOS7. This "inertia
of the mass" is hard to overcome. Carrot and stick only work so far.
Discussions about filesystems aren't sexy enough for that kind of users.

However: This discussion here gave me some ideas how I might approach
convincing and prodding my users on towards ploop for new installs.
Security and performance are good talking points. We'll see if that's
enough.

--
With best regards

Michael Stauber