[Users] OpenVZ and ZFS excellent experience

Devon B. devon.b at virtualcomplete.com
Fri Jan 9 13:55:04 PST 2015

It is also important to note that there is wasted space with ZFS as is
right now if you use advanced format drives (usually 2TB or larger).
When using ashift=12 (4k sector size) to create a ZFS raid, you'll lose
about 10-20% of your disk capacity with ZFS depending on the RAID type,
I don't remember if this affects stripes or not.  It is most noticeable
in my testing on a RAIDZ2.  When using ashift=9 (512 sector size),
you'll have the full capacity but performance will suffer on advanced
format drives.

  I've also opened up a performance bug about the write performance and
amount of data written to the devices far exceeding the initial write
size which seems to be pretty noticeable when your writes don't align
perfectly with the zfs block size.   I had an email with you about this.

However, there are a lot of useful features in ZFS that may, or may not,
be worth this capacity loss and write performance limitations depending
on your use case.  I have hopes the performance issues are being worked
out with the upcoming releases.