[Users] Debian Jessie and 'vzctl start $CTID --wait'

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Mon Feb 9 09:04:55 PST 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> I'm doing some testing with Debian Jessie (8.0) Containers. Debian
> Jessie comes with systemd as its default init system. I wonder what is
> the correct way to tell vzctl when a container is done starting up. What
> was a simple line in /etc/inittab for sysv-init, seems more complex in
> systemd. Creating a systemd service unit that touches /.vzfifo is
> actually not that difficult. However, I have troubles figuring out how
> to make sure vz-init-done.service is started after all other services
> have been started.
>
> Has anyone experience with systemd-enabled OpenVZ containers? Are you
> using --wait at all?

Fedora has defaulted to systemd for 4 or 5 releases now and OpenVZ has had official OS Templates for each release although the OS Template for Fedora 21 is still in beta with at least 1 bug reported (and fix in the queue).

I don't know the underlying specifics on how to make Debian 8 work, but yes... systemd in an OpenVZ container has been done.  Not only for Fedora... but for EL7 as well (CentOS and Scientific Linux).

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street