[Users] Using OpenVZ Legacy OS Templates on Virtuozzo 7 Beta

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Aug 7 14:52:32 PDT 2015

Greetings,

DUH.  I just noticed this blog post from yesterday:

OpenVZ upgrade and migration script
http://openvz.livejournal.com/52010.html

In the blog post it gives a link to ovztransfer.sh
https://src.openvz.org/projects/OVZL/repos/ovztransfer/browse/ovztransfer.sh?at=830b56ea853fc5598c2fea4ca2ec09c7dba55b1d&raw

ovztransfer.sh is a shell script similar to vzmigrate... but ovztransfer.sh knows the differences between a OpenVZ Legacy (OL) container and a Virtuozzo 7 (V7) container... both with regards to container config file and filesystem stuff.  If one examines the ovztransfer.sh script perhaps the differences may be learned.

I haven't had time to parse through ovztransfer.sh with a fine-tooth-comb but a quick skimming of it makes it appear that it basically mounts the OL container on the OL host, creates a blank ploop image on the V7 host, mounts it... and then rsync the container filesystem at the file/dir level.  I might have imagined that... as I need to spend more time looking at it... but hey, at least the code-as-documentation is there, right? :)

So, how well does ovztransfer.sh work?  I didn't have any production containers I wanted to experiment with so I made two containers.  One was CentOS 7 and one was Fedora 22... and both migrated just fine. And remember, once you have a container, you can prlctl clone it if desired.

Supposedly the ovztransfer.sh script also migrates OL containers to Parallels Cloud Server 6 (PCS6) but seeing as how I don't have a PCS6 server setup... I didn't test that.

They would really like to get some feedback on ovztransfer.sh so please, everyone who is trying out V7 now... who has a OL server setup... please give it a try and give feedback.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street