[Users] Using OpenVZ Legacy OS Templates on Virtuozzo 7 Beta

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Aug 7 10:32:47 PDT 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> you can use prlctl's clone parameter to make additional containers...
> or use the clone command with the --template flag to turn the existing
> container's filesystem into a new OS Template.

Just to clarify, prlctl clone seems to work (it makes a new container from the source container) but I'm guessing prlctl clone --template doesn't do what I was hoping it did.  I as hoping it made a pre-created OS Template and dropped it into /vz/template/cache/{name}.plain.ploopv2.tar.lz4 but that does not seem to be the case.  I'm guessing it makes some new meta-data definition or something.  So currently I'm baffled... but at least I can use clone. :)

Here's what I tried:

prlctl clone {ctid} --template --name {new-name}

It made a new container that shows up with "vzlist -a" but oddly not with "prlctl list --all".

I tried to turn the new container's file structure into an new cached OS Template by:

1) cd /vz/private/{new-ctid}/root.hdd/
2) tar cvf /vz/template/cache/{name}.plain.ploopv2.tar .
3) lz4 -9 /vz/template/cache/{name}.plain.ploopv2.tar

That was the best monkey-see-monkey-do attempt I could muster but it didn't seem to work as when I tried to create a new container using my manually constructed OS Template it gave me the following error:

- - - - -
Creating the Virtuozzo Container...
Failed to register the CT: Operation failed. Unable to get appcache tarball name for f04da639-c801-42ef-817e-3d70df86b6f1.conf with ostemplate fedora-22-x86_64
Creation of Container private area failed

Failed to create the virtual machine.
- - - - -

It should also be noted that the fedora-22-x86_64.plain.ploopv2.tar.lz4 file I crafted was huge ~750MB even using lz4's -9 compression level.  I'm guessing it was huge because the container's filesystem probably needed to be compacted but I wasn't sure how to do that... but it doesn't matter because it didn't work anyway.

I conclude that I probably got fairly close with the methodology BUT there are factors I'm missing that I'm currently unaware of. :(

Anyway, the good news still is that I can "prlctl clone {ctid}" and then remove the inherited IP address, set a new IP address... start the container... and the new clone works. :)

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street