[Users] Virtuzzo branding: "vzctl" vs "prlctl"

Gena Makhomed gmm at csdoc.com
Tue Aug 4 10:38:25 PDT 2015

On 04.08.2015 17:54, Scott Dowdle wrote:

>> "vzctl" name means "Virtuozzo control" - very good and useful
>> name. same as "vzkernel" means "Virtuozzo kernel" - easy to
>> understand.

>> "prlctl" means unpronounceable name of six strange consonant
>> letters and now it without any sense and relation to the "Virtuzzo"
>> product.

>> For example, I am, as 5-year user of OpenVZ does not see any sense
>> in renaming very useful and familiar "vzctl" into alien "prlctl".

> I say vzctl as vee zee cee tee el.  Adding one extra letter and
> saying pee arr el cee tee el is no mental challenge.  prlctl is no
> more oddly named than a handful of other unix/linux commands we use
> on a daily basis.

Scott, you don't need to wait when Virtuozzo 7 will be released!

And you can start using brand new command prlctl
right now in your every day scripts, tasks and other work:

# ln -s /usr/sbin/vzctl /usr/sbin/prlctl

# prlctl --version
vzctl version 4.9.2

If you are happy with frequent renaming of main tools -
don't stop, after few months it the same way you can
rename this old tool to brand new tool name again:

# ln -s /usr/sbin/prlctl /usr/sbin/odctl

# odctl --version
vzctl version 4.9.2

...and again:

# ln -s /usr/sbin/odctl /usr/sbin/odinctl

# odinctl --version
vzctl version 4.9.2

> You guys need to quit nit-picking every little thing because there
> are tons of hard-core technical things that are more important.
> There will be plenty of time for nit-picking later.

I prefer make such decisions independently,
without your directions / indications here.

See my first message in this thread - already mixed
five brands in one web-page. You think this is OK?

You say: "Just smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave."

No, this is not OK.

Can you provide at least few reasons,
why "vzctl" should be renamed into "prlctl"
in process of migration from OpenVZ to Virtuozzo?

Backward compatibility is not reason,
because "prlctl" symlink can be provided
"ln -s /usr/sbin/vzctl /usr/sbin/prlctl"

And all tools/habits will also work fine for users,
who migrate from old Virtuozzo 6 to new Virtuozzo 7.

P.S. I can't understand, why you are argue with me.

If you prefer to fix "hard-core technical things that
are more important" - please do it, I'm not against.

--
Best regards,
  Gena