[Users] Show stopper while trying out Openvz 7 beta 1

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Mon Aug 3 08:50:45 PDT 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> yes, because Virtuozzo doesn't use precreated OpenVZ templates.
> Proper way is:
> - install required template via yum (CentOS 6 x86_64 installed by
> default)
> - run something like: prlctl create 100 --ostemplate centos-6-x86_64
> --vmtype=ct
> prlctl will create cache and then create container
>
> We will publish template management guide on http://docs.openvz.org/
> but right now you can use the same doc from Virtuozzo 6 page -
> http://www.odin.com/products/virtuozzo/documentation/

I know Sergey and other Odin/Parallels/OpenVZ devs know this but for users out there...

BTW, that's is basically how OpenVZ worked in the first couple of years... when OpenVZ had a working vzpkg tool.  While some pre-created OS Templates had been created, most people used the vzpkg way to do it... where you built your own OS Templates on demand and could easily keep them up-to-date.

After vzpkg bitrooted because of underlying Python changes going from EL4 to EL5 and beyond... it basically died... and a heavy reliance on pre-created OS Templates resulted.  With the need for pre-created OS Templates, the amount and variety of them grew.

Of course people who weren't using OpenVZ the first few years of its life are only familiar with pre-created OS Templates.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street