[Users] Ploop Incremental backups strategy

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Apr 1 07:53:14 PDT 2015

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Is there any reason why I should not create snapshot a ploop-backed
> container each day (or hour, for that matter) then merge all
> outstanding snapshots at the end of the week (vzctl snapshot-delete)
> and compact it? This would allow me to do efficient incremental
> backups to back up (using bacula, in this case) and I would imagine
> it's a core use case.
>
> Are there any potential risks to be aware of (performance issues,
> storage usage, corruption exposure)?

People do backups differently.  If that's the strategy that works for you, go for it.  After doing it a while, feel free to update the ploop backup wiki page.  I haven't done it the way you propose and I don't use backula... so I can't answer you. I prefer to do file-based backups rather than copying image files... and just rsync.

I'm guessing you have already looked at it but here's the wiki page:

https://wiki.openvz.org/Ploop/Backup

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle