[Users] Basic questions about ploop snapshotting

Devon B. devon.b at virtualcomplete.com
Tue Nov 18 06:33:41 PST 2014

I believe a single file does exist for the snapshot but it isn't what
you think.  I believe, if ploop snapshotting is what I believe it to be,
that file is only used to log the changes to the filesystem while
preserving the root.hdd file (your original filesystem).  Once a
snapshot is created, the original root.hdd goes untouched, any changes
to the filesystem go into the file designated for the snapshots
(root.hdd.uuid).   Then when a new snapshot file is created, the
previous snapshot file is preserved and the new snapshot file gets all
the changes.  The top delta file keeps track of the snapshots.