[Users] Shortest guide about running OpenVZ containers on top of ZFS

Devon B. devon.b at virtualcomplete.com
Thu Nov 13 11:44:01 PST 2014

Scott Dowdle wrote:
> 1) ext4 works fine and unless you have more than 16TB of storage in a single partition, it isn't really a problem.  No ext4 doesn't have checksums but you do need backups no matter what filesystem you run.  Filesystems that offer redundancy and checksums do not alleviate the need for backups.

Ext4 actually supports a lot more than 16TB.  By default, CentOS6 only
includes the ext4 tools with 32-bit support and that is why it only
supports 16TB.  If you install the latest ext4 tools, it has 48-bit
support and ext4 itself was actually designed with 64-bit support to
support 1 EiB (1,048,576 TiB) so ext4 was designed to be much more
scalable than it is.  I don't know why, but they don't make full use of it.

ZFS on the other hand was designed with 128-bit support for filesystems
to handle 256 ZiB ( 274,877,906,944 TiB ).  I can't think of any
situation where you'd need that much space but it is definitely designed
to withstand time.