[Users] Shortest guide about running OpenVZ containers on top of ZFS

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Nov 13 08:46:20 PST 2014

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> But what about btrfs? From my point its not stable even in rhel7. But
> for next 5-7 years we should use rhel7 openvz kernel which haven't
> stable btrfs. Thus btrfs is not suitable for production usage with
> containers now.

Just a few clarification points:

1) ext4 works fine and unless you have more than 16TB of storage in a single partition, it isn't really a problem.  No ext4 doesn't have checksums but you do need backups no matter what filesystem you run.  Filesystems that offer redundancy and checksums do not alleviate the need for backups.

2) btrfs isn't offered as stable in RHEL 7.0 but it is in "Technology Preview" and available in the installer.  That signals that they plan to release it as stable in an upcoming 7 update.  Which update will that be?  Your guess is as good as mine.

3) OpenVZ doesn't currently support neither ZoL nor btrfs... but if and when Red Hat flips the switch on btrfs with a RHEL7 update, chances are OpenVZ will at least consider supporting it.  ZoL, not so much.

I don't disagree with you that btrfs isn't suitable now mainly because RHEL6 doesn't offer it and never will... and there isn't yet an OpenVZ RHEL7-based kernel. But again, I don't begrudge people people for using either of them as long as they are willing to support it themselves.

I realize the irony of dissing ZoL because it isn't in the mainline kernel... on an OpenVZ mailing list... but it least OpenVZ uses the GPL.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street