[Users] Starting With OpenVZ and Having Interface Issues

Antonio Querubin tony at lavanauts.org
Thu Feb 6 23:55:47 PST 2014

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Matt wrote:

>> This is a known problem.  You need to clamp your MAC address down on the
>> bridge interface of the host to a specific address - just use the real
>> MAC address of the physical interface.  Otherwise the host can lose
>> connectivity for short periods whenever a VE is created, stopped, or
>> started.  This is explained in:
>>
>> http://openvz.org/VEs_and_HNs_in_same_subnets#Configure_host_bridge_interfaces
>
> This seems to have cured it, I think.
>
> Whenever I do 'service network restart' on the host I get:
>
> Global IPv6 forwarding is disabled in configuration, but not currently
> disabled in kernel
> Please restart network with '/sbin/service network restart'
>
> What does that mean?  I want IPv6 to work.  Also, I have
> 'IPV6_DEFROUTE=yes' and 'DEFROUTE=yes' in both ifcfg-vmbr0 and
> ifcfg-eth0.  Should they be in both files and what do they do?

Neither.  Keep it simple.  Did you follow the examples in the above link?
Does your network have it's own IPv6 gateway advertising RAs?

You may also want to set the following in /etc/sysctl.conf if they're not
already the default:

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-ip6tables = 0
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables = 0