[Users] OpenVZ: Checkpoint the memory state Only.

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Thu Aug 21 10:03:27 PDT 2014

On 08/21/2014 08:33 AM, Lee Viali wrote:
> Hello Kir,
> I am really sorry to bother you again..
>
> Just one question.
> I want to continuously checkpoint a container.
> I did the following,
> 1"vzctl chkpnt VEID"
> 2 backup the Dump.VEID file.
> 3"vzctl restore VEID"
>
> However, step 3 usually takes long.
> Is there any command that I can use to resume a container without
> restoring from a dump file?
> I sent you this email,
> because I have a assignment, which is extremely urgent....
> and the mailing list responses really slowly...

You should always use mailing list. It's very counter-productive otherwise.

The commands you look for are:

vzctl chkpnt $VEID --suspend # this freezes container
vzctl chkpnt $VEID --dump --dumpfile /some/path/to/dump/file # this
dumps the container that was previously frozen
vzctl chkpnt $VEID --resume # this un-freezes the container

So this sequence helps you to do what you want without a need to restore
from a dump file,
and should be way faster

Kir.