[Users] How to configure a server to use multiple subnets/gateways

Rene C. openvz at dokbua.com
Sun Aug 18 02:22:57 EDT 2013

... continued

So going the simple/obvious way of bridging the CT0 interface I try
the longer route:

[root at server17 ~]# ifconfig veth1706.0 0
[root at server17 ~]# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/veth1706.0/forwarding
[root at server17 ~]# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/veth1706.0/proxy_arp
[root at server17 ~]# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/forwarding
[root at server17 ~]# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/proxy_arp
[root at server17 ~]# vzctl enter 1706
entered into CT 1706
[root at vps1706 /]# ifconfig eth0 0
[root at vps1706 /]# ip addr add xxx.13.31.131 dev eth0
[root at vps1706 /]# route add default dev eth0
[root at vps1706 /]# logout
exited from CT 1706
[root at server17 ~]# ip route add xxx dev veth1706.0
RTNETLINK answers: File exists

To recap the problem:

I have this hardware node with IP xxx.22.181.158

Node runs Centos 6, so does all containers.

I already have 4 containers with IP addresses on the same subnet
(xxx.22.181.*) running fine.

Problem is, now my data center gave me 3 IP addresses in a new subnet
with a separate gateway:

IP add  : xxx.13.31.130  -  132
subnet : 255.255.255.224
gateway : xxx.13.31.129

How can I make this work. Please be specific. I don't mind reading and
learning, but the learning curve at this stage is too high, I'm not
getting anywhere. Thanks.