[Users] How to configure a server to use multiple subnets/gateways

Rene C. openvz at dokbua.com
Sun Aug 18 01:28:19 EDT 2013

I'm sorry but networking is obviously not one of my strong areas and
for all the good intentions, all the buzzwords confuse me more than
they help me.

I had a look at http://openvz.org/Virtual_Ethernet_device, and it
gives detailed information about a number of scenarios, for example
"Simple configuration with virtual Ethernet devices" and then proceeds
with 50 steps to set it up. (Ok I exaggerate but you get my drift).  I
think my requirement is very very simple, like I explained before, my
DC gave me a bunch of IP addresses on a new subnet requiring a
different gateway for it to work.

I tried.

Ok so I start at the "imple configuration with virtual Ethernet
device", with the vzctl start and set commands listed. Then it says
"The following steps are needed when the CT is not bridged to a CT0
network interface.". Ok, I guess I should make the "CT bridged to a
CT0 network inteface" then... but how?   There's a section
"Independent Virtual Ethernet communication through the bridge". It
starts with "create bridge device", starting with "brctl addbr vzbr0".
Ok, I try that...

# brctl addbr vzbr0
-bash: brctl: command not found

Now what?

I just need to set this up. Not how to enable a VPN tunnel or multiple
192.168 networks.  I'm sure someone in the know could tell me this is
a matter of two lines instead of this information overload.

Thanks!

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Jean-Marc Pigeon <jmp at safe.ca> wrote:
> Bonjour Rene C.
>
> My understanding you want to route VPS IP not related to host IP.
> Just to tell you we have such config.
> Using veth  within the VPS and the host with Bridge interface.
> Our config is working IP double stack (IPV4 + IPV6).
>
> The VPS eth0 interface is a very straightforward one.
> VPS ifcfg-eth0
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> ONBOOT=yes
> IPADDR=X.Y.Z.T
> NETMASK=255.255.255.255
> IPV6INIT=yes
> IPV6ADDR=XX:YY.......ZZ:TT
>
> Keyword are veth, IPV4 Routing, Bridge.
> http://openvz.org/Virtual_Ethernet_device
> seems to me a good starting point.
>

> Quoting "Rene C." <openvz at dokbua.com>:
>
>> Thanks Jean-Marc, I don't think this is what I need though - I don't
>> have any bridge interfaces anywhere, and frankly don't quite see how
>> it fits into the server. There's only a ifcfg-eth0 file.
>>
>> I had a look at this page -
>> http://wiki.openvz.org/Source_based_routing - am I on the right track?
>>
>> I tried some of the commands but it threw an error early on so I have
>> a feeling I'm not.
>>
>> # ip rule add from xxx.13.31.0/24 table 6
>> # ip route add default dev eth0 via xxx.13.31.129 table 6
>> RTNETLINK answers: No such process
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Jean-Marc Pigeon <jmp at safe.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bonjour Rene C,
>>>
>>> My config:
>>>
>>> ifcfg-br0
>>> #definition Bridge interface
>>> DEVICE=br0
>>> ONBOOT=yes
>>> TYPE=Bridge
>>> BOOTPROTO=static
>>> IPADDR=HOST IP number
>>> NETMASK=255.255.255.224  #(My HOST SUBNET MASK)
>>> IPV6INIT=yes
>>> IPV6ADDR=PP:XX:.....YY:ZZ
>>>
>>> ifcfg-br0:brgd
>>> DEVICE=br0:brgd