[Users] syslog-ng issues in container

Brad Alexander storm16 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 14:33:10 EDT 2013

I just provisioned my first VM in quite a while. The template I used was a
rather old Debian/sid...So I upgraded and dist-upgraded it. During the
install, I got an error that none of the other containers are getting this
error:

[....] Starting system logging: syslog-ngError opening file for reading;
filename='/proc/kmsg', error='Operation not permitted (1)'
Error initializing source driver; source='s_all', id='s_all#2'
Error initializing message pipeline;
 failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript syslog-ng, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing syslog-ng-core (--configure):

Which means I can't install the plethora of syslog-ng-* packages that
require syslog-ng to be configured.

Does anyone know the cause of this? It doesn't happen on any of the other
containers on this box...

Thanks,
--b