[Users] samba and openvz

David Brown david at westcontrol.com
Wed Oct 24 17:03:21 EDT 2012

On 24/10/12 21:20, Birgit Berger (UV Wien) wrote:
> I need to use samba and ldap. I have one hardware NIC, one server. What
> is the best way to do this? What should go into a VE, what on the host node?
>
> I know I need veth instead of venet when I use samba to make broadcasts
> work. But what about ldap? Does this run fine in a venet environment? Is
> it possible to set up one VE with venet and the other with veth? e.g.
> samba VE with veth and ladp VE with venet or would there be problems?
>
> Do I need a bridge?
>
> At the moment I have shorewall on the host system. Do I need to install
> it also on VEs that use veth?
>
> Recommendations on general setup and considerations about security are
> highly appreciated :-)
>
> pls note: DNS is on another server, static IPs are used, so no need for
> a DHCP server.
>
> Kind regards,
> Birgit

If you don't need broadcasts, then you can use venet and route traffic
to the openvz server.  It means windows clients won't see the server by
browsing the network (or using "net view"), but they can get access by
typing "\\server" (assuming you have DNS set up to point "server" at the
openvz server, and have all the routing and firewalling in place).