[Users] samba and openvz

Birgit Berger (UV Wien) birgit.berger at oeh.univie.ac.at
Wed Oct 24 15:20:14 EDT 2012

I need to use samba and ldap. I have one hardware NIC, one server. What is
the best way to do this? What should go into a VE, what on the host node?

I know I need veth instead of venet when I use samba to make broadcasts
work. But what about ldap? Does this run fine in a venet environment? Is
it possible to set up one VE with venet and the other with veth? e.g.
samba VE with veth and ladp VE with venet or would there be problems?

Do I need a bridge?

At the moment I have shorewall on the host system. Do I need to install it
also on VEs that use veth?

Recommendations on general setup and considerations about security are
highly appreciated :-)

pls note: DNS is on another server, static IPs are used, so no need for a
DHCP server.

Kind regards,
Birgit