[Users] OOM killed process, altough there is enough memory

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 16:07:22 EDT 2012

On Mit, 2012-10-10 at 19:16 +0200, Corin Langosch wrote:
> On 10.10.2012 at 18:25 +0200, Roman Haefeli
> <reduzent at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We're having issues with processes in a container being killed by OOM,
> > although the hostnode does not have even half of its memory used.
> > How can it be that there is a failcnt for oomguarpages, although the
> > barrier wasn't even reached?
> >
> > This is on Debian Squeeze with the OpenVZ Kernel shipped by Debian.
>
> I can only highly recommend against using the debian openvz kernels. I
> always had stability problems with them and a few months ago I
> discovered a major bug
> ( http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=655385), causing
> the whole system to get instable/ freezed.
>
> For a few months now I'm using the official rhel6 openvz kernels and
> convert them into debian packages as described here:
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Install_kernel_from_RPM_on_Debian_6.0 Since
> then I never had any problems again so far :)

Thanks for your comments. It's not the first time I experienced oddities
with the Debian OpenVZ kernel. I'll definitely check out the RHEL6
kernel.

Also, knowing that what I reported is _not_ expected behavior is
valuable for me to know. I started to think that I might have
misconfigured the CTs due to a lack of understanding the mem
limits/guarantees.

Roman