[Users] OOM killed process, altough there is enough memory

Corin Langosch info at corinlangosch.com
Wed Oct 10 13:16:09 EDT 2012

On 10.10.2012 at 18:25 +0200, Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com> wrote:
> We're having issues with processes in a container being killed by OOM,
> although the hostnode does not have even half of its memory used.
> How can it be that there is a failcnt for oomguarpages, although the
> barrier wasn't even reached?
>
> This is on Debian Squeeze with the OpenVZ Kernel shipped by Debian.

I can only highly recommend against using the debian openvz kernels. I
always had stability problems with them and a few months ago I
discovered a major bug (
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=655385), causing the
whole system to get instable/ freezed.

For a few months now I'm using the official rhel6 openvz kernels and
convert them into debian packages as described here:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Install_kernel_from_RPM_on_Debian_6.0 Since then
I never had any problems again so far :)

Corin