[Users] ip tool present inside gentoo container breaks venet0:1

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Thu Nov 29 09:56:51 EST 2012

There are two ways to configure multiple IP addresses for a single network
interface. This is not OpenVZ-specific thing, but Linux-specific.

The old way is to create so-called interface alias, like eth0:0, and then
assign an address to it, one per alias.

The new, much better way (appeared in kernel 2.4 AFAIK) is just to let an
interface have multiple IPs. This usually requires ip tool.

I can't look into gentoo openvz scripts at the moment so can't tell which
way they use.

-- sent from Android