[Users] bash script to build kernels for Debian

CoolCold coolthecold at gmail.com
Thu May 3 17:16:57 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Kir Kolyshkin <kir at openvz.org> wrote:
> On 04/30/2012 12:55 AM, CoolCold wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I've created script for myself to build Debian packaged kernels from
>> source in semi-automated way. Works for me, may be useful for others.
>>
>> For building current stable version one just need to start script - it
>> will download kernel, patch, config and do compiliation.
>>
>> Code is located on github and is accessible via
>>
>> https://github.com/CoolCold/tools/blob/master/openvz/kernel/create-ovz-kernel-for-debian.sh.
>>

> Looking good, thanks. Are you satisfied with the kernel you have this way? I
> mean, are you using it in production, how many nodes etc.
Servers with kernel built exactly with this script in production which
I have is 3 and one of friend of mine (not much load, just 3 VEs for
tests), this number going to increase twice soon. But in general I'm
using kernels build with make-kpkg since 2008 .

1 & 2 done - https://github.com/CoolCold/tools/commit/a5a56976fb84de9c6914072daa8daadad7d358bf

> 3. print_usage could be improved to not hardcode current defaults but take
> it from KERNELINFO

Not sure got your point about 3 - I'm considering that usage output as
some reference in general, not as exact values, that's why it contains
lines like:
  echo "-R <rhelid> - specifies rhel version id, now latest rhel is 6,
previous was 5."
to make people know - it may be such or other way. Turning back to
your suggestion I think I can print default values at the end, like:
  echo "-R <rhelid> - specifies rhel version id, now latest rhel is 6,
previous was 5. [Default is: ${KERNELINFO["rhelid"]} ]"
what do you think about this?

Best regards,
[COOLCOLD-RIPN]