[Users] bash script to build kernels for Debian

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Thu May 3 01:11:55 EDT 2012

On 04/30/2012 12:55 AM, CoolCold wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've created script for myself to build Debian packaged kernels from
> source in semi-automated way. Works for me, may be useful for others.
>
> For building current stable version one just need to start script - it
> will download kernel, patch, config and do compiliation.
>
> Code is located on github and is accessible via
> https://github.com/CoolCold/tools/blob/master/openvz/kernel/create-ovz-kernel-for-debian.sh.

Looking good, thanks. Are you satisfied with the kernel you have this
way? I mean, are you using it in production, how many nodes etc.

A few minor suggestions for the script itself:

1. "#checking packages" better be moved before read -t 10, no need to
wait then see that we can't build

2. s/$(fgrep processor /proc/cpuinfo|wc -l)/$(grep -cw ^processor
/proc/cpuinfo)/

3. print_usage could be improved to not hardcode current defaults but
take it from KERNELINFO