[Users] Outbound networking failure

Maoke fibrib at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 02:28:41 EDT 2012

sorry if this is more of a Xen problem.

we are running openvz in Xen PVs (kernel
2.6.18-194.3.1.el5.028stab069.6xen), and occasionally the network of a PV,
as well as the PV's hosted containers, at a virtual interface is lost.
sometimes restarting the network can solve the problem but in most cases we
have to restart the PV. the PVs another virtual interface was working and
other PVs and the HV keeps working.

detailed observation through tcpdump at the trouble time shows:
1. the inbound traffics can be delivered correctly through eth0 of the PV
until venet0;
2. it looks the venet0 is also correctly functioned because TCP sync may
get response from container and this sync ack can be seen at venet0;
3. but at the eth0 of PV, we only have seen the TCP sync request towards
the containers while the sync ack is missing, thus TCP state of the
container's application remains SYNC_RECV
4. if ping the PV, at the eth0, we only have seen the ICMP echo requests
but the replies are missing.

we didn't encounter the same problem when those openvz stuffs were running
over physical machine instead of xen.

does anyone have any hints or ideas? thanks a lot in advance.

- maoke