[Users] a newbie question

Martin Dobrev martin at dobrev.eu
Sun Jun 17 06:56:12 EDT 2012

Martin Dobrev

Sent from iPhone 4

On 17.06.2012, at 13:25, cheetah <xuwh06 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,

Hi Peter,

> I am a newbie to openvz and preparing to deploy it in my production environment to give each user a container. I have the following concerns now.
>
> 1. Can user load kernel modules in the guest container without influencing the host kernel or other container's kernel? As far as I understand, all the containers share the same kernel of the host. So I am wondering if this is possible?

Some modules can be shared from the host sytem to the containers. More info in the vzctl man page.

> 2. Or how is the container's security isolation? Can I give user root access in the container? Is there any hack that he/she can use root in the container to attack the host or other containers?

It's impossible to gain host system access using a kernel bug as far as I know. Some kernel exploits are still able to crash the hole system. Giving root in the container will be considered as secure as giving root on physical server.
> 3. Does openvz kernel support kvm?

It's possible to have Xen and KVM compiled in the OVZ kernel but you'll need to compile it yourself.
> 4. What is recommended distro of Linux to install openvz? I am now using CentOS 6.2. How about Debian?

Mainstream kernel development follows the RHEL kernel branches, so best for you will be CentOS. I have some production systems on it too.
> Thanks a lot for answering my stupid questions.

I hope my info helps.