[Users] Problems doing live migration

Marc Olive marc.olive at blauadvisors.com
Thu Jan 12 08:17:01 EST 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to do a manual live migration on a Linux 2.6.32-5-openvz-amd64 and
openvz 3.0.24, but I'm getting some troubles:

.- Container's suspend seems OK.
.- But I'm not able to dump the container:
"Can not dump container: Invalid argument
Error: iptables-save exited with 255
Checkpointing failed"
.- I can issue iptables-save command with no problem.
.- Also, I'm not able to resume the container:
"Can not resume container: No such file or directory"
.- After this happens, vzctl complains about quota issues.

Here's is a session log:

~# vzctl chkpnt 114 --suspend
Setting up checkpoint...
        suspend...
        get context...
Checkpointing completed succesfully
~# vzctl chkpnt 114 --dump --dumpfile /tmp/114.dump
Setting up checkpoint...
        join context..
        dump...
Can not dump container: Invalid argument
Error: iptables-save exited with 255
Checkpointing failed
~# vzctl chkpnt 114 --dump --dumpfile /tmp/114.dump
Setting up checkpoint...
        join context..
        dump...
Cannot set linkdir in kernel: Too many links
Checkpointing failed
~#  vzctl chkpnt 114 --resume
Resuming...
Can not resume container: No such file or directory
~# ls -ld /var/lib/vz/*/114
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 12 gen 12:13 /var/lib/vz/private/114
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 10 gen  2011 /var/lib/vz/root/114
~# vzctl stop 114
Stopping container ...
Container was stopped
vzquota : (error) Quota off syscall for id 114: Device or resource busy
vzquota : (error)       Possible reasons:
vzquota : (error)       - Container's root is not unmounted
vzquota : (error)       - there are opened files inside container's
root/private area
vzquota : (error)       - your current working directory is inside a container
directory
vzquota : (error)         root/private area
vzquota off failed [3]
~# vzctl start 114
Starting container ...
vzquota : (warning) Quota is running for id 114 already
Container is mounted
Adding IP address(es): 10.81.53.15
Setting CPU units: 1000
Container start in progress...
~# vzctl exec 114 reboot
~# vzctl stop 114
Stopping container ...
Container was stopped
vzquota : (error) Quota off syscall for id 114: Device or resource busy
vzquota : (error)       Possible reasons:
vzquota : (error)       - Container's root is not unmounted
vzquota : (error)       - there are opened files inside container's
root/private area
vzquota : (error)       - your current working directory is inside a container
directory
vzquota : (error)         root/private area
vzquota off failed [3]

If I use the "vzmigrate" command, the result is similar, here's the last logs,
the command issued is "vzmigrate -v -r no --keep-dst --online linux-01 117":

Checkpointing completed succesfully
   Dumping container
Setting up checkpoint...
        join context..
        dump...
Can not dump container: Invalid argument
Error: iptables-save exited with 255
Checkpointing failed
Error: Failed to dump container
Resuming...
Can not resume container: No such file or directory

Why I can not dump the container? iptables-save is there on my system and I
can execute it, why is that command needed after all?

Thanks,

--

Marc Olivé
Blau Advisors