[Users] A question about Node RAM

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 15:19:46 EST 2012

On 06/01/12 19:35, Quentin MACHU wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks again!
>
> You mean that we should use for exemple this stable kernel :
> http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/rhel6-2.6.32/042stab044.11/vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab044.11.i686.rpm
> to get a lot of stability ? By following this little guide :
> http://wiki.openvz.org/Install_kernel_from_rpm_on_debian.
>
> The apps won't be so disk IO-vore. Tons of VM are for... LAMP /
> VocalServer / Minecraft & other game servers...

Isn't that "putting all your eggs in one basket"?  What happens if that
machine has a hardware fault?  Personally, I'd perhaps favour going for
e.g. 4 or 5 Sandy Bridge based machines, each being quad core, and with
32G RAM (maybe something like a Dell R210 II), and use some sort of
clustering system (maybe pacemaker with drbd, or glusterfs, or sheepdog)
to distribute the storage between the nodes, and allow moving VMs
between nodes.

May well be cheaper too, but almost certainly more reliable...  Larger
numbers of simpler cheaper machines is how Google, Amazon etc. do it -
big fat machines like the one you've described are usually trouble in my
experience...

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.