[Users] Building a custom container

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sat Aug 11 16:30:28 EDT 2012

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> I know this is a pretty basic question, but could someone point me in
> the right direction to set up a custom container? I want to set up
> OSSIM 4.0 as a virtual machine. As there are no OpenVZ VMs available
> that I know of, I would like to set one up. I'm running Proxmox VE
> 2.0, but my hardware, while 64 bit, does not have the virtualization
> extensions to allow me to run KVM, so I would like to set up an OpenVZ
> container to run it. Would the best approach be to build it on
> something like VirtualBox then convert it, or is there a more
> straightforward way to go directly from the OSSIM iso image to a
> container?

General advice for converting a physical machine (or HVM virtualized VM) to a container can be found here:

http://wiki.openvz.org/P2v

It appears that OSSIM is Debian Squeeze based... and it would be nice if they offered a repository of the OSSIM speciality packages... and then you could make a Debian container and install the OSSIM packages.  Unfortunately their website doesn't container a lot of information... but I wonder if you just do an install and then examine their sources list to see if they indeed do have a custom repo to keep their software updated.  You could also examine what default Debian packages they install... compare the packages to factory settings to figure out what files they have altered (usually only config files)... and armed with that knowledge, you could possibly simulate their package.  Of course that assumes they properly package up as .deb files... the software they provide.

Good luck,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street