[Users] openvz ploop images on moosefs mount

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Sun Apr 1 08:11:12 EDT 2012

On 03/31/2012 11:13 PM, Corin Langosch wrote:
> Hi Kirill,
>
> thank you for your very fast response. :)
>
> Am 31.03.2012 20:54, schrieb Kirill Kolyshkin:
>>
>> Ploop only supports ext4 and nfs
>>
> Is there any special reason for this? I'd really like to know the
> technical aspects because I then might be able to make moosefs (or
> another fuse based fs developed by myself) working with ploop. If I
> can read about it in any documents, please redirect me to them :)

Ploop developers are now working on fuse I/O module for ploop (and fuse
improvements required for it). When this work will be ready, you might
revisit this issue and see what is required from moosefs to be used for
ploop.

> Another question: is it (easily) possible make an openvz container use
> a normal block devices for storage (which is formatted with ex. ext4)?
> Before seeing ploop I thought this won't be possible, but now with
> ploop it seems vzctl is only mounting /dev/ploopX somewhere and then
> using this mount as the container's root. I'd especially be interested
> in using ex. an iscsi backed block device with openvz containers.

Yes it's pretty possible, with some minor modifications to vzctl. I need
to think a bit more about it, but it looks like a trivial case (no
vzquota etc). Let me know if you want to work on that.