[Users] Is there a stable OpenVZ kernel, and which should be fit for production

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Wed Nov 23 09:42:25 EST 2011

On 11/23/2011 04:31 PM, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:
>> I am very sad to hear this. Could you please file a bug to
>> bugzilla.openvz.org so our kernel guys will start working on that?
>   Looking at bugzilla there are many other similiar reports, one of mine has
> been closed as fixed, but then returned in exactly the same function after
> just 6 minutes of stress-testing new kernel.
>   It's easy to reproduce, just put enough load on the system.

Have you reopened it already? Can you provide bug number?

>   It looks really troubling, both vSwap and 042.x branches look very nice
> feature-wise, even vzmigrate seems to work fine, which is no small feat,
> but it kinda feels like stability has been sacrificed to get there.
>
> best regards, Eyck

Guys,

I do understand reasons for your frustration, but so far I have only
seen one specific bug mentioned in this thread, namely
http://bugzilla.openvz.org/2095 it was filed yesterday and there is a
patch already available for testing. Any other statements like "there
are many bugs", "this kernel is unstable" are just not specific enough
for me to deal with.

If there are bugs, they need to be reported and fixed, and we, OpenVZ
team, partly rely on you, our users. We do have internal QA but can't
possibly test all the use cases and scenarios.

Specifically, we rely on having bug reports from you, with full kernel
logs (see http://wiki.openvz.org/Remote_console_setup), test cases (as
specific and reproducible as possible), and ideally your ability to test
patches that developers provide and report your results back to bugzilla.

We treat bug reports very seriously, and we do our best to reproduce
your bugs locally and fix them. Again, please be specific and refer to
exact bugs in bugzilla when you are having problems with kernel
stability, otherwise it's not helpful and I can't do much about it.

Kir.