[Users] OS/app in the OpenVZ container

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Thu Nov 10 05:33:41 EST 2011

On 11/10/2011 11:29 AM, Tommy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm doing some research on processing virtual machine recently.
>
> As I what know now, I think OpenVZ vps runs the same OS kernel as the
> host system.
> The vps is a group of processes which are forked on the host system.
> In the OpenVZ container, thera are some processes to run an os.
> Is it possible to run only one App in the container instead of the os
> based on the host os? such as a media player?
> what are work should I need to do mainly?
> could you give me some suggestion?

It's pretty simple. What OpenVZ kernel does it creates a container and
runs /sbin/init inside it. What goes next is up to that particular
/sbin/init. If you need to run an app let /sbin/init run just it, or let
this app be /sbin/init (but bear in mind there will be no child reaper
as in usual linux system so you might need to take some extra care about
zombie processes).