[Users] Re: vzmigrate standby mode

Jean-Marc Pigeon jmp at safe.ca
Fri May 13 14:28:11 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 12:25 -0400, Sterling Windmill wrote:
> The problem with the lsyncd approach is it doesn't guarantee
> filesystem consistency. If you're running a database or any other
[...]
	Agree with you, difficult to be an effective solution with
	a real server running database, filesystem consistency
	could be a real issue
> .
>

> vzctl chkpnt and restore guarantees consistency in that the state of
> the container is dumped when the checkpoint is created and restored
[...]
>  period of time and wouldn't be ideal as a means of taking backups of
> production systems on a regular basis.
	Using vzmigrate as starting point, I wrote a small
	shell, with  a small VPS (1.2 Gig Bytes) as test bench,
	the preliminary result are (so fare) encouraging.
	"standby" is done between 2 HOST on local network

Syncing private
Live migrating VPS...
Resuming local VPS
Times:
  Second rsync:    0.507628 sec
  Quota Generation:  0.00138903 sec
  Suspended time:  0.631432 sec
Total time:  6.47325 sec

	less than one second of suspend is good enough to me,
	It is true the data-base within this test VPS
	is not a very active one.
	Keep in mind, there is many task (data dump transfer,
	reload, ...) which can be done on the "standby"
	VPS while the production one already resume task.

> Checkpointing for this purpose would probably only make sense for a
> container with data that doesn't change over time. A simple
> application server that relies on an external database for instance.
	Agree with you.
	Critical issue is the "suspend" time, if production
	VPS is in very "volatile" data context, "suspend"
	time could be a real issue.

> lsyncd is interesting though, I haven't heard of it before and will
> definitely be doing some research.
	Agreed