[Users] custom location for OS template

knawnd at gmail.com knawnd at gmail.com
Tue May 10 09:43:29 EDT 2011

Kir Kolyshkin wrote on 08/05/11 03:37:
> On 05/03/2011 04:17 PM, knawnd at gmail.com wrote:
>> Is there any way to specify a location for os templates? The default one
>> is written in /etc/vz/vz.conf as
>> template=/vz/template
>>
>> but I would like to have a possibility to specify the custom one e.g.
>> with absolute path:
>> $ vzctl create --ostemplate /vz/tmpl/centos-5-x86.tar.gz <CTID>
>
> Why such a feature would be needed? Is that a problem to put a tarball
> (or just a symlink)
> to /vz/template/cache?
For my needs I am trying to implement OpenVZ support in OpenNebula [1]
with minimal changes in OpenNebula code. OpenNebula creates directory on
remote host (cluster node) like $VM_DIR/<VM_ID>/ with some files inside
it including VM deployment (a.k.a config) file, OS template/image, etc.
All VMs on remote nodes are running under unprivileged user belonging to
certain group (e.g. oneadmin:cloud). So it seems that the easiest way to
create VM from certain OS template would be to do something like
$ vzctl create --ostemplate <path_to_OS_template> <CTID>
but indeed it looks like such approach would break the /etc/vz/dists/*
logic of choosing proper distscripts.
So probably I will try to use symlinks. Thanks for idea!

Regards,
Nikolay.

[1] http://www.opennebula.org