[Users] Re: glusterfs/moosefs/etc as openvz backend?

Aleksandar Ivanisevic aleksandar at ivanisevic.de
Mon May 2 03:27:34 EDT 2011

Toby Burress <tdb at dimins.com> writes:

> You have to disable ACLs, and don't squash root, but other than that it
> seems to work fine.  It's not a distributed file system, but my guess
> is if the file system itself is working properly, a VE will probably
> run on top of it with little fuss.  There might be issues with POSIX
> semantics, though, that these file systems (which I've never used)
> may not honor.

Thats what I'm trying to do too, and those were exactly my worries. I
know that it might work with NFS, but I want something more flexible,
so I'm looking into distributed filesystems.

The problem is that I'm not satisfied with daily or hourly rsnapshot
backup, I want to have the replica as close to the original as
possible. We now replicate using DRBD but it introduces high latency
and it becomes really messy once you have more than 2 nodes (ganeti
might help with this, but it was pretty imature on RHEL last time I
looked).

One alternative is also lsyncd but the real deal would be a real
distributed file system where everything happens in the background.