[Users] Right use of Hostname and Name

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Jul 5 14:54:02 EDT 2011

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> So what is the right usage of HOSTNAME and NAME in the VZ conf? where i
> should use the FQDN and where just the hostname?

vzctl's --name flag is just for vzctl so you can use a name rather than the ctid... just like hostnames are generally friendlier than IP addresses.  It is really just a symlink in /etc/vz/names/ that points to the config.  To the best of my knowledge, only vzctl allows you to use it... whereas, for example, vzmigrate does not.

The --hostname flag is for setting the hostname of the container.  Where the value gets written into the container is distro specific.  For example, in Red Hat / Fedora OS Templates, the value gets written to /etc/sysconfig/network.  Other distros might expect it to be elsewhere.

The man page for vzctl is a little lean in the descriptions for --name and --hostname but I think it is clear enough.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street