[Users] Migrating to OpenVZ from BSD jails

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Jul 1 13:40:46 EDT 2011

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> The jails need to emulate Ubuntu 10.04 (kernel 2.6.32), however I
> believe the patches for this kernel are still experimental.
>
> Is this true? If so, are the known issues to do with stability or
> security?

Depends.

There are two branches based on 2.6.32... the generic one and the RHEL6-based one.  Both are still marked as "Development" here:

http://wiki.openvz.org/Download/kernel

There is also a 2.6.32-based kernel that Debian has in their repos for Debian 6.  I believe it uses the OpenVZ 2.6.32 generic patch but of course Debian's kernel isn't the stock kernel.org kernel.

I've heard of a few differences in functionality between the RHEL6-based kernel and that shipped by Debian.  Ubuntu does not offer an OpenVZ kernel that I'm aware of.

I've been using the RHEL6-based kernel on RHEL 6.1 and it seems to work fine but it isn't a production machine and I haven't done a whole lot of testing.  The OpenVZ Project has been updating the RHEL6-based kernel frequently both to keep up with RHEL kernel updates as well as fix OpenVZ-related bugs that are reported.

So, what host node distro are you planning on using?  I'd recommend using the RHEL6-based OpenVZ kernel if at all possible.  If you haven't done so already, I strongly recommend you setup a system and give it a try for yourself... and do some testing.  If you find any bugs report them to bugzilla.openvz.org.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street