[Users] Migrating to OpenVZ from BSD jails

Phil Lello phil at squello.com
Fri Jul 1 11:39:45 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm currently using a development environment using multiple bsd jails, and
would like to migrate to openvz.

The jails need to emulate Ubuntu 10.04 (kernel 2.6.32), however I believe
the patches for this kernel are still experimental.

Is this true? If so, are the known issues to do with stability or security?

My needs could probably be met by a simple chroot, but binding IP addresses
to a container means I can keep this environment much closer to production
(which uses real hardware nodes instead of jails). I don't hugely need a
separate pid space (provided all my start/stop scripts use pidfiles instead
of polling running processes - something I wouldn't want to make assumptions
about).

The only other option I can think of would be full/para virtualisation, but
I've currently got about 30 BSD jails, so this makes memory requirements
excessive (unless I'm using a bubble memory driver). Full virtualisation is
also not ideal, because at some point my dev environment will move to a VM,
and nested virtualisation carries it's own set of headaches.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer,

Phil